What is an ECLO?
Eclos are vital in helping newly diagnosed eye clinic patients, their goal is to help guide patients to the help they need to maintain wellbeing and independence, they do this by
· helping patients understand their eye condition diagnosis.
· Giving patients time to talk through how they are feeling and how the diagnosis is impacting on their lives.
· Liaising with eye clinic staff and North Yorkshire County Council’s Sensory Team on your behalf, to ensure that patients are receiving the help they need.
· Providing practical and emotional support to patients on an individualised basis.
· Providing patients with information and guidance on the next steps and other organisations which may help.
You don’t have to be a patient of Harrogate Hospital
You don’t have to be a Harrogate Hospital patient to access support, if you are new to sight loss and need some help, advice, support, information on your eye condition or are wanting to know the benefits of being registered as sight impaired, please get in touch. There are lots of things we can do to help, even if it’s just a friendly ear to listen.
Vision Support’s ECLO
Vision Support’s Eye Clinic Liaison Officer (ECLO) is Lauren Kaptain. Lauren is fully trained and is very knowledgeable about the impact diagnosis and sight loss has on patients and their day to day life. Lauren has helped support many newly diagnosed people as well as people who have experienced sight loss for many years. Everyone is different, and Lauren is able to individualise the help she provides based on the conversations she has with patients and she knows lots of other organisations that can help too.
Lauren is available to talk to you in the Eye Clinics at Harrogate Hospital on a Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday morning, just ask a member of staff to contact her for you.
If you are recently diagnosed and would like to make an appointment with Lauren please call 01423 565915.
New to Sight Loss Workshops
On Wednesday mornings, 10am to 12pm, we will be running a series of 10 workshops, delivered over 10 weeks, these workshops will offer information and advice to anyone who is recently diagnosed or recently registered as sight impaired. This is a great opportunity to gather information, advice and tips to help you maintain your independence, be confidence and live life to the full.
You can join the workshops at any stage in the 10 weeks as they are rolling workshops. They will cover the following subjects:
- Daily living aids & magnifiers
- Benefits & concessions
- Mobility options
- Employment, adult education & volunteering
- Holidays & travel
- Sport & leisure
- Children & Young Adults Services
- Audiobooks & Newspapers
- Eye conditions, organisations, Counselling & Support
Check out our events page to find out which workshop is on next.
Vision Support Centre
At the Vision Support Centre we can offer lots of help, advice and information, we have a huge array of activities and support services to help you make life easier. Keep browsing this website to find out all the ways in which we can help if you prefer you can call in and speak to us or phone on 01423 565915.